Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Words

“You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that men will give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”   Matthew 12:34-37

when it comes to words,
it has always been all or nothing,
words have been my best friends,
my only companions,
my slaves,
my sluts,
my bitches,
my lovers,
my fantasies,
my obsessions,
my masters;
my salvation;
I have used words
like a healing salve,
spreading them like butter
on unseen cuts and gashes
until there was nothing left,
a silent barrier
behind which I could bury
all the loneliness and tears;
words have been there
when there was nothing else;
words should not be wasted
on summer roofing jobs
or dead Italian uncles,
but then again one MFA
is worth about 2 nights
in the gutter,
following 5 day benders
which you can barely remember,
or one week
in a cock-roach infested hotel,
with rats so big
they stand on their hind legs
and beg like trained circus seals,
all the while
daring you to do
something about it,
and all the while knowing
that you won’t,
it’s moments like that
when you understand words
you never knew existed,
words you will never learn
at Harvard, or Princeton,
or Vassar,
as you slowly sip a bottle
of Wild Irish Rose, or Thunderbird
or Mad Dog 20/20;
of course,
I have used words to describe
every act of perversion,
every known degradation,
every dark empty thought
existing with the human soul;
so who am I to judge?
words are clay
in the hands
of a skilled artist,
waiting to be sculpted
into unknown beauty
which defies description,
they are the face
of a tragic cruelty,
far beyond the limits
which our relatively
simple minds
can even begin
to fathom;
words are nothing,
words are everything,
by your words
you will be condemned,
by your words
you will be freed;
so choose your words
wisely.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive