Sunday, December 22, 2013

Memories of a King (or god)

I remember that day in August 1961
as if it were yesterday,
waiting outside Comiskey Park,
the Yankee’s team bus nearby,
holding on to my aunt’s hand
while the reporters and others
buzzed and milled about,
all of us waiting to catch
a glimpse of a man,
who I thought at the very least
must be a king or perhaps
even a god,
although at the time
I really didn't understand why;
I remember the commotion
as this king (or god)
emerged from the stadium darkness,
reporters rushing forward,
camera bulbs flashing,
my aunt pushing me to the front
with pencil and paper in hand;
to my six year old mind
he was everything
a king (or god) should be,
tall, blonde and crew-cut,
hard as a rock with a jaw
that looked like it was
chiseled from stone,
and eyes of steel
that flashed with anger
as he pushed his way
through the reporters,
ignoring their questions,
the pant leg of his thigh
brushing my hand as he went by,
bounding up the bus steps then
angrily throwing his duffel bag
against the window;
today I understand the pressure and stress
he must have been going through,
trying to break the record
of an even greater king (or god),
but when you’re six you don’t understand
that even kings (or gods)
have bad days at the plate,
when you’re six you only know
something’s upset the king (or god);
and you cry.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive