Thursday, December 5, 2013

Choke On It

I was working the graveyard,
and sleep just wasn't happening,
so I turned off the television
and started reading a little Bukowski,
it didn't take long to be reminded
that this world, this life,
this moment,
is much bigger
than who we think we are,
that it goes on with
or without us,
he’s taught me many such lessons,
but they never seem to sink in,
so every now and then
I have to pick him back up
for a good kick in the ass,
then climb down from
whatever pedestal I’m standing on
at the time,
forget about what is politically and
grammatically correct,
and just say to hell with it all,
because none of it really matters,
and I couldn't change it
even if it did;
whenever I talk to a
self-proclaimed ‘poet’,
I always ask what they
think of Bukowski,
ninety percent of them say “who?”,
which always tells me a lot,
they always react with such disbelief
when I tell them he is the most
read poet in the twentieth century,
with more published books
than any other poet,
living or dead,
I don’t expect them
to be passionate,
or even like his work,
but I would think if they are
going to call themselves ‘poets’,
they would have at least
have heard of his name,
but then 90 percent of them
aren't really ‘poets';
(are they);
to them poetry is about sweet
sounding words,
which roll around in your mouth
like marbles,
until you have to either
spit them out;
or choke to death.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive