Monday, December 30, 2013

Winter Morning At The Shore

in the morning,
the ocean is calm,
trash trucks canvass
the boardwalk,
preparing receptacles for a
new day’s rush,
the air is cool but not cold,
life ticks on,
gulls fly by and waves dance,
everything as it should be;
everyday;
on TV the talk is about Syria
and new righteous wars,
but the dolphins and gulls
don’t know about these things,
and neither should we;
but still we do;
it is in our nature,
our heritage,
and so we will,
but it is of our own choosing,
for we have options;
alone, I go for a walk
on the boardwalk,
one last time,
Chinese Christians gather
on the beach,
praying to someone or something
to make sense of it all
before it is too late,
I watch from afar,
thinking about my work
and promises made but not kept,
about the predictability of it all
and how sometimes you wish
you were wrong;
just once;
watching the ocean waves
pound slowly on the sandy shore,
realizing that they could care less,
that everyone but me
could care less,
and perhaps I should
care less too;
I think of my father,
and how I wish I could show him
that it doesn't always
have to be his way,
that it is okay to feel good,
that it is okay to simply be;
but I know that I never will;
winter at the shore
is the best time of all,
for some it is a given,
others hold fast to it like a man
drowning in the ocean,
later these thoughts will
mean nothing,
but for the moment they
are everything;
they are
all there is;
perhaps the golden years
won’t be so bad after all,
maybe they will be
just what was needed,
or at least something new;
crawling back into bed,
reaching for her
warm body,
happy to be where I am at;
happy for one more breath.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive