Thursday, July 13, 2017

In The End

























Jesus looked directly at them and asked, “Then what is the meaning of that which is written: ‘The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone’? Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed.”  Luke 20:17-18
when I was 18 I was the real deal,
the high school, jock, superstar,
the golden boy
with the golden touch,
class president,
everything to everyone;
it was an image
I spent most of my adolescent years
Perfecting;
I could have married the hometown girl,
bought a house in my parents neighborhood,
spent the next 30 or 40 years
making a comfortable living,
gathering after work at the local bar
with all the other hometown boys,
living off old press clippings
and exaggerated sexual conquests,
collecting interest on Friday night touchdowns
and Saturday morning hangovers;
instead I did everything I could
to kill who and what I was,
I wandered,
I searched,
I smoked,
I drank,
I snorted,
I embarrassed,
I lied,
I deceived,
I failed;
I burned every bridge,
I slept with whores,
I broke man-made laws
and spiritual taboos,
I sinned against man,
I sinned against God;
but in the end
I was still here,
stuck in the same skin,
unable to escape,
unable to change,
unable to be anything
but what I was,
trapped by the truth
living inside;
in the end,
I became exactly
what I was destined to be,
and You were still there;
knocking,
whispering,
waiting;
in the end,
You put Your arms around me,
quietly whispering;
“Don’t be afraid, just believe”;
forgiving the beatings,
forgiving the humiliation,
forgiving the suffering,
forgiving the pain,
forgiving the torture,
forgiving the isolation,
endured by You;
for the evil committed by me;
in the end,
You forgave the sins
of a world not worthy
to kiss the dust beneath Your feet;
in the end,
You shined Your light before me,
and my eyes were blind no more;
in the end,
I will stand before the throne of Your glory
and the joy shall be forever.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive