Friday, July 1, 2011

Just The Same

I would like to imagine,
knowing all that I know now,
that when they came to take my Lord
in that dark and lonely garden
so many years ago,
I would have stood by His side,
demanding that the same fate
which awaited Him,
befall me also,
going with Him hand in hand
to be tortured
and die on the cross,
knowing when it was all over
He would take me home,
that the apostles only fled
because they were
frightened and confused,
but if they had truly known
the miracle that was too come,
they would have stood fast,
instead of fleeing like cowards
into the night.

I would like to imagine this,
but inside I know
it would not have been so,
that in the end
I would have been just as afraid as they,
that I would have ran just
as fast and far as they,
I know it every time I have a chance
to profess my faith,
and remain silent,
or when I look the other way
when His precious name
is used in vain,
not saying a word
for fear they will turn on me;

just like Peter did
three times before the cock crowed.

Then I think about the fact
that He knew this would happen
before it even happened,
that He knew He would be betrayed
and left alone
to bear the iniquities
of the whole world;

and still He loved us
just the same.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive