Friday, September 1, 2017

The Way It Should Be



















I returned to the home of my parents
for a few days last week,
back to a home where I once lived
but have been gone for over 25 years now,
I attended my 30 year high school reunion
while I was there;
it was very strange;
I’m not really sure why I went
or what the point was,
I realized once I was there
that I spent 4 years with these people,
and 4 years seems like such a very short time,
compared to the years which have gone by;
I’ve had a dog
almost 3 times as long as the time
I knew most of these people;
it was interesting to watch how quickly
everyone returned to the roles they played back then,
myself included,
there were so many things I had planned to say,
about places and things I have seen and done,
about all the words which I have written over the years,
to make up for the words which were never spoken
when I knew all of them,
instead I became the big dumb, smiling jock again,
as if nothing had ever changed;
most of then had ended up
exactly as I assumed they would,
lawyers,
college professors,
business people,
husbands and wives,
fathers and mothers,
grandfathers and grandmothers;
I suppose it would have been better
if I had gotten falling down drunk,
but I had already done that the weekend before,
drinking vodka and beer until I passed out,
and I’m only good
for about 3 or 4 of those a year anymore,
so I had to pass at the reunion,
but perhaps if I had,
I might have shown them a glimpse
of the person who I really am,
but then again,
perhaps not;
none of them knew me then,
none of them know me now,
which is probably
the way it should be.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive