Monday, September 4, 2017

The Trail
















I come to you at last,
my secret refuge,
my final stand,
it is a journey I have
been making
all my life;
you taste like chicken salad
sandwiches, and bottles
of Pepsi-Cola,
on the last day of school
before summer break,
hot, July mornings,
your dad taking vacation,
as you mother packs the cooler,
for trips to ‘Deer Forest’ or
‘Tower Hill’,
sampling her potato salad,
wanting more;
never enough,
never enough;
time is running out,
it is there in every step,
every whisper,
every breath,
but it is okay,
eventually,
we all arrive at the
same destination;
my spirit cries out,
just once more,
just once more,
but the body says no,
never again,
so you travel in your mind,
in your thoughts,
you remember the view,
the touch,
the feel,
you remember the cool breeze
blowing on your face,
the crows cawing out,
the valley floor
lying so far below,
the sun shining on your face;
you remember the quiet,
the solitude,
the peace;
you remember
days gone by,
you see the road ahead,
with a sigh,
you start down the trail
leading home.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive