Saturday, September 30, 2017

A Day at Barnes and Noble




















I started reading 'The Best American Poetry for 2014’,
I never knew that ‘lifestyle’ was an art form, but
apparently it is, or at least a requirement
to be one of the ‘best’;
they play ‘Hark The Herald’ over the loudspeaker
as we sit reading our books, drinking our drinks,
green tea for me, mocha frappuccino for her;
“they’re using Jesus to put people in the
shopping mood” I tell her,
“selling Christmas before Thanksgiving;”
they play flamenco music;
“what does that have to do with Christmas?” she asks,
“it’s all part of setting the mood” I tell her;
“part of the artistic, cynical, sarcastic, bourgeois,
intellectual, bullshit mood;”
she laughs;
“I’m giving you rare insight” I say, “I’m letting
you see how my mind really works, I don’t
let many people see that;”
“why am I the lucky one?” she replies dryly;
now it’s my turn to laugh;
I begin writing thoughts down in the
back of the book,
“better take good care of this” I say,
“someday, after I am gone this will be worth
big bucks;”
she remains quiet, browsing her book;
“imagine finding a hand-written Bukowski
in the back of a book, besides,
they’re not coming like they used too,
this could be the last one
I ever write;”
“you can call it ‘A Day at Barnes & Noble’,” she says;
“good idea,” I say as I quickly scribble it down, “thanks;”
“Merry Christmas,” she replies.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive