Saturday, April 29, 2017

gas


















then came the gas,
silent, deadly,
just a soft whump here,
a thump there,
followed by
swiftly rolling fog,
at first we weren’t even sure
what was happening,
many started dropping
before the thought
of donning a mask could
even be thought;
it seemed like such an ironic,
and cruel twist
of fate,
to have survived such horror,
only to be destroyed by
such a thing
as this;
everywhere men lay choking,
gasping for breath,
their faces twisted in deadly
agony,
those who managed
to put on their masks
powerless to help,
the burning of skin
hardly noticed by the joy
of protected lungs and
internal organs
from this slow and
evil death;
I thought of Tukarov,
I thought of my wife,
I thought of innocent little girls,
lying cold and limp in my
trembling arms,
I thought;
such a waste,
such an incredible,
stupid waste;
who has won?
who has lost?
all I could do
was cry.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive