Saturday, April 29, 2017

Awakening




















I was not sure when she left,
I was awakened by a light shaking
of my arm;
“Good morning, Mr. Alexsandar,
I am Doctor Popescu. How are you
doing today?”
“Fine, I think”
“Good, good, let’s take those bandages off
so we can get a look at your eyes.”
I felt his hands on my head as he
slowly unwound the gauze,
the light began to seep in,
slowly at first,
then overwhelmingly,
I winced,
I could see shapes and shadows
but could not make out
individual details,
“Ah, very good, very good,
the blisters are healing quite
nicely. Tell me what you are seeing.”
“I see light, mixed with dark shadows and
shapes.” I replied,
“hmmm, that is to be expected I suppose,
we need to give it a little more time
I believe. I will have the nurse put more
salve in your eyes and wrap them
back up”
“Good day Mr. Alexsandar.” he said,
as he left the room,
I could make out her shape as she
came into the room,
“Good morning Anatoly, when I left
yesterday you were sleeping like a baby.”
“The night nurse wrote that you
were out all night.”
“What did the doctor have to say?” I asked;
she chuckled, “As usual, he didn’t say much
of anything. But he did write that your eyes
are healing nicely and that I am to re-wrap them.”
“I am putting some drops in your eyes, you might feel
some slight stinging and discomfort.”
“So”, I said, “in a few days I might
get my eyesight back?”
“Perhaps”, she replied,
“Then I will be able to put a face
to your wonderful voice.” I added;
she was silent;
I decided to push the attack;
“What does your husband think of
you being around all these men?”
“My husband is dead” she replied,
“He was killed over a year ago. There are
many victims of this war”;
I felt the sadness in her voice;
“Perhaps when I am better, we can
get a cup of coffee together” I said;
there was more silence,
then she slowly spoke;
“Anatoly, you do not know
where you are do you? When your
eyes are better, you will be placed
in the recovery ward, with all the other
prisoners.”
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive