Saturday, April 29, 2017

Anatoly


























I awoke to darkness,
my eyes were open but
they could not see,
my hands could move
but I could not raise
them up;
“help me!” I screamed,
“help me!”
I heard a door open
then close;
“so, you are awake at last”,
a female voice casually
spoke out;
“where am I?” I demanded;
“try to relax Mr. Aleksandar,
you are in a hospital,
you are safe now,
let me check your bandages”;
I felt her soft, warm hands
run lightly around the side
of my head and over my eyes;
“am I blind?” I asked,
without trying to sound afraid;
“the doctors are not sure yet” she replied,
“it’s too early to tell,
your eyes were burned
very badly by the gas,
we will not know just how much
long term damage there is
for a few more days”;
“you are luckier than most” she added,
“why can’t I move my arms?” I asked,
“the doctors wanted your arms restrained,
they knew when you awoke you would most
likely be in a state of panic,
if you promise me you will be a big boy
I will remove the straps”;
I could detect a slight trace of humor
in her voice;
“I will try” I replied;
I felt a slight tugging at my
right arm then my left,
my arms were free,
my first thought was to reach
for my face,
and as if she read my mind
she called out;
“don’t try to remove
the bandages on your face,
or I will be forced
to put the straps back on!”
“what of the men who were
with me?”
there was a silence;
“there were a few” she quietly replied,
“most were in worse shape
than you, some died shortly after
they brought them here”
“I’m sorry”, she added;
“the doctors have said you could
have some hot broth if you are up to it,
would you like some Mr. Aleksandar?”
it had been so long since I had heard
a female voice,
I had almost forgotten just how
soothing it could be;
“please” I said, “call me Anatoly”
she didn’t say a word,
but I could feel the smile.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive