Sunday, June 28, 2015

Discipline, Perseverance and Other Voices of Insomnia




















I never had much respect for
middle of the road, it was always
the extremes, the ones out on the edge,
who captured my attention,
pushing it right to the limit,
leaving it all on the field, nothing
held back;
this is what I admired;
most of the good ones slipped away,
like killers in the night, discipline
never a strong point, perseverance
not a possibility;
I browsed through one of his ‘posthumous’
books the other day, I almost
bought it, but then put it back
on the shelf, the words seemed to fit,
but somehow it didn’t feel right,
it felt a little too ‘perfect’, a bit too
‘contrived’;
more than coincidence?
I imagined his widow. sitting
down at a table, throwing words together
whenever the bills were due,
claiming to have some secret vault,
full of previously unpublished material,
then again I could imagine him,
talking to her on his death bed,
giving her specific instructions:
“feed it to em slow baby,
give em a book a year,
this is all there is, but it should
be enough, if you spread it out.”
either way, I put it back on the shelf,
I didn’t want to be guilty of
supporting fraud, I’m much too
‘clean’ for that;
much too ‘dignified’;
later, I will go home, write down
 these words, thoughts and ideas
springing up from that short
book store glance,
wishing I had bought the book,
knowing the words really belong to him,
wondering how he knew he’d be
inside my head 16 years later,
while sitting at a kitchen table
at 4:12 in the morning.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive