Monday, March 31, 2014

Fred








your picture stares at me every day,
it sits on top of the printer
next to my computer,
I talk to you but you never hear,
the distance between us
is too great,
I am your grandpa,
your mom was my
little girl;
you make me smile
on the inside;
we've met a couple times,
but I don’t think you
will remember,
just as I don’t remember
my grandfathers;
we were both too young;
I miss you,
just as I miss my other
grandchildren (your cousins);
Adam,
Rachel,
Holly,
Hannah;
I hope someday
you will get the chance
to know them,
along with your aunts,
Erin and Erika,
but I don’t know if
that will be possible,
outside of occasional
encounters, a day or two
at a time,
your grandmother
misses you also;
terribly;
it is probably harder
for her than me,
but she never talks
about it or complains;
she is stronger than me;
which is a very good thing,
otherwise we never would
have made it through 35 years;
you will do well if you
inherit her strength;
you have two great aunts
on my side of the family,
and one great aunt and two
great uncles on your
grandmothers side,
along with dozens of
first and second cousins on
both sides,
you also have a great grandfather
and grandmother who are very
good people,
they live in Michigan,
hopefully, someday,
you’ll get to know them also;
whether we get to know each
other or not,
you are a part of me,
and I am a part of you,
just as the grandfathers
who I never knew,
are a part of me;
and you too;
grow up to be a good man,
just like your father,
and his father,
and his father,
and your father's
mother's father;
whom you were named after;
I love you.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive