Saturday, May 21, 2016

'Back in the Day'


























watched an old video
while riding the exercise bike,
as my youngest daughter would say,
something from ‘back in the day’,
yeah, I watched Woodstock,
and no, I wasn’t there,
although sometimes I think
I must have been the only one
who wasn’t;
it brought back old memories,
so it was kind of like I was there;
Wavy Gravy and the Hog Farm,
the Merry Pranksters,
living for the moment,
like some lost ancient tribe,
it made me wonder
where they are today,
dot.com execs,
living in the hills
around San Francisco,
in multi-million dollar mansions,
or dead (farewell Kesey);
Richie Havens,
righteous and dignified,
singing about freedom and truth,
Canned Heat and the Bear,
bouncing around the stage
like a hippopotamus in heat,
lithe and graceful,
poetry in motion,
Joan Baez
rambling on about
county jails and causes,
blah blah blah,
fast forward,
I suppose she was cool
for the times,
but a little hard to take today,
the wounded dove,
sad little puppy dog eyes look,
gets a bit old,
Daltrey,
young and god-like,
Moon, wild and crazy eyed,
playing drums with demonic possession,
Townsend sending whirlybirds
round and round;
the workout came to an end,
there was other things
I had to take care of,
so I didn’t watch the rest of the video;
but it was enough;
memories from ‘back in the day’
only go so far,
before you remember
how badly you wanted them
to be over;
when you were living them.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive