Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Eileen


I wrote this almost 30 years ago, at the birth of my youngest daughter.

I held you
in those first few moments,
as your skin changed colors
from purple to white,
and wrinkles of youth
gave way to fresh new skin
of old age,
trembling
I held you tight,
and you were none to happy,
for you had traveled
quite a long journey,
so it was alright,
I hoped
that you wouldn't be sorry
that you came
to this strange land,
full of strangers
and even stranger habits,
that someday
you might even thank me
for having been there,
although deep inside
I knew that would never be,
for I had never said thanks
even once myself,
ah but a least
you were not alone,
we gave you a top 40 name,
which must have mean’t something
to all the disc jockeys across the land,
your arrival was well heralded,
and it was most definitely
worth the wait,
of course that was just my opinion,
I did the easy part,
but I’m sure
that the feeling is shared
by all concerned,
especially the one
who provided
your port of entry,
although at the time
it was a very painful
touchdown;
I was amazed,
but then
I frequently am.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive