Saturday, August 1, 2015

Tukarov



















Tukarov was dead,
it seemed like only yesterday we had danced
at his wedding, now his body lay quiet,
face down in the mud, a gaping hole where his chest
had once been, ripped apart by a 50 caliber shell
from a sniper’s gun;
I wondered if he had felt anything,
as the bullet ripped through his flesh,
tearing out pieces of his lungs with it,
it couldn’t have been much I thought,
he was dead before he even hit the ground,
perhaps it was better this way,
only a few months earlier he had lost Ulena
in an air strike, after that he had never
been the same;
“we must do something, we must fight back,
we must not die like sheep”, he had insisted,
convincing me to join the ‘cause’ with him,
now I could not remember what the ‘cause’ was,
only that I was cold and afraid, as I sat with the
rest of our patrol, listening to our commander
brief us on tomorrow’s raid, wondering when this
nightmare would end;
Tukarov was dead,
long live Tukarov.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive