Monday, January 17, 2011

Brother

When I first began organizing my writings I called what I wrote Lifesongs. When I had written enough for what I considered a volume I would start another volume and call it Lifesongs 2, Lifesongs 3, etc, etc. I am currently on Lifesongs 13. This poem is from Lifesongs 1. I remembered it today and dug it out in honor of Dr. King.

For the first time
I have seen your hurt,
I have felt your pain,
and I realize
just how wrong
I have been.

When you called out
I did not hear your voice,
when you needed help
I turned away;

and for this
I apologize.

I cannot crawl inside your skin,
I cannot know
what it is you feel,
and though we cannot be brothers in race,
can we at least try
to be brothers in life?

I need your help,
you must tell me what it is
you see wrong,
as I must tell you
what it is I see wrong,
and we both must listen,
we both must change,
we both must go to the mountaintop
so that we too
might see the vision,
that we too
might have a dream
as glorious
and wonderful
as that
of the King.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive