Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Poems for my wife



than you
I have written many things in my life,
thought many thoughts,
fantasized many fantasies,
dreamed many dreams;
but none of them
are more important
than you;
I have written of imaginary lovers
and foolish ideas,
all of which
seemed so important,
but were nothing,
nothing at all,
when compared to the love
that we share;
you are the reality
which has kept me holding on
(to this life),
for more years
than I can remember,
yours is the touch
I long to feel,
the voice
I long to hear
at the end of the day,
when nothing seems real,
when nothing is true,
as all the thoughts and ideas
go drifting away,
like smoke
from a burning campfire,
you are the part of me
I can never let go,
no matter how hard
this need to destroy
everything that I touch
has tried;
there is no one
I would rather be with
than you.
______________________________

One Flesh

what began so small,
has become so great,
what once was two,
has been joined as one;
one love,
one life,
one truth,
one flesh;
you are the one
my heart desires,
you are the one
who makes me whole,
when you laugh I laugh,
when you cry I cry,
without you I would be lost,
without you I would be alone,
without you I would be incomplete;
no one but you and I
understand this great and
magnificent miracle,
this deep and hidden mystery
our life has become,
a beautiful, wondrous,
blessing of God,
for which I give
continual thanks;
what God has joined together,
let no one put asunder,
as it was in the beginning,
so shall it be in the end.
___________________________________________

Home
sitting in this greasy, all night
Michigan redneck, café,
sipping dark, stale coffee,
listening to the local philosophers
as they eat breakfast,
on their way to dry walling
and other assorted craft jobs,
indoors of course (getting to cold for
outside work),
discussing the beating death
of a Wyoming fag (their word),
and how the poor ole boys who did it
will never get a fair trial,
with all the negative publicity,
and what is this world coming too,
when you can’t even bash a few fags around
and get away with it,
after all, they was just having a little fun,
they didn’t actually mean to
kill the little fucker (chuckles all around);
while listening the thought occurs,
that with just a different twist of fate,
I could be sitting at that table
with all the other small town
know-it-alls,
discussing world politics and Wyoming fags,
and it is only now that I realize
I don’t belong here anymore,
just as the swamplands and
muskrats of south jersey
do not belong here,
this place I once called home,
has become just another town,
full of strangers and family
I no longer know,
nor care too;
this place leaves me feeling
so empty and impotent;
I think of my wife,
the woman who has been with me
for more years than I once
lived in this place,
the woman whose touch still
electrifies me,
the woman who has become
my one constant,
my only reality,
the one thing I can depend on,
together we have built a new home,
free from family or friends interference;
she is where I belong;
she is my home.
____________________________________

More
she has been by my side
for more than half her life,
she has been my lover,
my best friend,
the part of me
that has allowed for survival,
in a world so dark and lost;
she is my strength,
my foundation,
I need her
like the dawn
needs the sun,
like the night
needs the moon,
the light
which guides the way;
if I could,
I would give her more;
words cannot say
what her and I have,
nor can they replace
this life we have shared,
she builds me up
when I am down,
she continues to believe
in us, when I give her
no reason;
if I could
I would give her more.
____________________________________

Mackinaw
for a moment,
sitting on that bench,
with the water washing up on the shore,
the cool breeze blowing in our face,
the bright sun shining overhead,
we had come to a place
never thought possible,
a place where everything is as it should be,
as it was meant to be;
we discussed many things on that bench,
warm bright happy things,
deep dark painful things;
she has given me more
than I ever imagined possible,
more than I ever deserved.
__________________________

24 Years Ago
24 years ago,
we began a journey,
you and I,
neither of us knowing
just where it would lead;
together,
we have shared the good,
survived the bad,
crossing lines and barriers,
until I know longer know
where you begin,
and I end;
you have shown me tomorrows,
all the time withstanding
the yesterdays,
and for this;
I will love you forever.
________________________

If You Only Knew
if you only knew,
just how desperately
I depend on you,
how hopelessly lost
I would be without you;
your love is like
a delicate pane of glass,
so fragile,
so beautiful,
yet waiting to be shattered
upon the ground
into a thousand pieces;
do not be fooled
by the masks or charades,
the unimportant things,
see into me,
hold on to me,
but most of all,
don’t let me shatter you,
for it is I
who needs you
more;
more than you could
ever know.
__________________________

Magic Time
now, is the bewitching time,
now, is the quiet time,
now, is the in-between time;
now is the magic time;
I love this time
most of all,
as the last rays of daytime light
fade into the dark shadows
of the cold black night;
laying here with you,
makes it all so simple and clear,
no thoughts of tomorrow,
no empty worries;
no mindless fear;
soon enough it will pass,
and the world will come
crashing back in,
like some giant ocean wave,
but for now
let us remember
this quiet time,
this in-between time;
this magic time.
_____________________

Finally
journeys made,
years spent searching for answers
which never came,
and a place to call home,
which was here all along;
for the first time,
I see your face,
for the first time,
I realize how much
I need you,
for the first time,
I feel the storm dying inside,
the darkness giving way
to bright sunshine,
the rage turning to calm;
making love,
you take me places
where I have never been,
your touch is like a warm old friend,
calling me back again and again,
you have made me the best I will ever be,
you have taken me to the highest peaks
I will ever climb,
now I can see,
now I can breathe;
now I can love.
______________________

My Soul
she is my soul,
even if neither of us
are ready to admit it,
through her
all things flow,
she is the reality
to fantasies and dreams
too dark to reveal,
she is the well
from which this magical power springs,
she is the outlet
for all that is good and bad,
filling me up
when all seems lost,
renewing depleted supplies,
restoring the myth
where there is none,
accepting the abuse
then crying out for more,
always on the verge
of breaking through,
yet holding back,
not quite ready
to fall over the edge,
afraid of the power she possesses
to create or destroy my life,
she is my soul.
_____________________

The Golden Years
it wasn’t supposed to be like this,
so empty and borderline,
so almost final,
full of unanswered questions and
unfulfilled promises;
long ago there was time,
endless and forever,
like stars in the eternal night,
now they fade,
as light from the new dawn
rises over the hills,
so remote and far away;
but somehow
we reached the golden years,
where everything is not too bad,
or not too good,
just somewhere in the middle,
just okay;
a very gentle and quiet place.
_________________________

Winter Morning at the Shore
in the morning the ocean is calm,
trash trucks canvass the boardwalk,
preparing receptacles for a new days rush,
the air is cool but not cold,
life ticks on,
gulls fly by and waves dance,
everything as it should be,
everyday;
on tv the talk is about Syria
and new righteous wars,
but the dolphins and gulls
don’t know about these things,
and neither should we,
but still we do,
it is in our nature,
our heritage,
and so we will,
but it is of our own choosing;
for we have options;
alone, I go for a walk on the boardwalk,
Chinese Christians gather on the beach,
praying to someone or something,
trying to make sense of it all before it is too late,
I watch from afar,
thinking about my work
and promises made but not kept,
about the predictability of it all,
and how sometimes you wish
you were wrong;
just once;
watching the ocean waves
pound slowly on the sandy shore,
realizing that they could care less,
that everyone but me could care less,
and perhaps I should care less too;
I think of my father,
and how I wish I could show him
that it doesn’t always have to be his way,
that it is okay to feel good,
that it is okay to simply be;
but I know I never will;
winter at the shore
is the best time of all,
for some it is a given,
others hold fast to it,
like a man drowning in the ocean,
later these thoughts will mean nothing,
but for the moment,
they are everything;
they are all there is.
perhaps the golden years
won’t be so bad after all,
maybe they will be
just what was needed,
or at least something new;
crawling back into bed,
reaching for her warm body,
happy to be where I am at;
happy for one more breath.
_________________________

Last Call
Finally, she has seen me naked and bare,
my soul stripped clean of all barriers and pretenses,
as she held me in her arms like a child,
precious and dear,
and for the very first time
I was ready to give it all,
no holding back,
no more deceptive lies and tricks,
as I realized that which I have been seeking
has been there right in front of me the whole time,
and that I really could have it all,
if I could just hold on to it hard enough,
long enough;
I spoke no words,
for fear they would get in the way,
as they have so many times before,
that they would say something I really didn’t mean,
and I think that I told her more
than I have ever told her before;
I finally realized that with her
I could make it through this terrible life,
with all its inadequacies and inconsistencies,
that I was more in her arms
than I could ever be outside of them;
the warm pain running through my chest,
reminds me that time is running out,
that so many years have gone by worn and wasted,
but it really doesn’t matter,
now that I have found her,
now that she has seen who I really am,
without any mask in place,
and she holds me in her arms,
it does not matter at all,
as the barkeeper living inside my head
yells out;
“last call!”
_____________________________

Final Stand
at last the sun begins to set,
the night does approach,
and it is here by your side
where I shall face
all that it has to bring,
it is here where I shall make
my final stand;
no more running,
no more hiding,
no more interference,
no more pretending;
no more fear;
traveling the miles and years
without understanding or direction,
without purpose or clarity,
once again the bullshit and
all that is unimportant
begins to fade,
the uncertainty passes,
withering roots come back to life,
brave new universes patiently wait,
seeking shelter within cool pockets
of summer shade,
the land of promise lies ahead,
we have waited for this moment
all our lives,
we have come home
to live;
we have come home
to die;
take my hand,
together we will survive
the destruction,
together we shall face
the final storm;
together we shall
make this final stand.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Followers

Blog Archive